Friday, December 16, 2016

You Look Just Like Your Daddy




You look just like your Daddy!

Who do people tell you you look like?  Most people say I look like my mom or at least those who haven’t met my biological dad before think so.  You see I was raised by my mother and step-father.  And although they are now divorced, I still have a great bond with my step-dad.  I actually hesitate at the word step and use it now to merely be technically correct.  I’m blessed because I have the benefit and the love of two earthly dads.  When I was a child I found it extremely funny when I heard a dear sweet momma of the church tell me once how much I looked like my father.  I had to stifle a chuckle because I knew she didn’t know he was my step-dad and I didn’t physically look like him at all.  However, as an adult I realize that she might not have been looking at my physical attributes at all.  She might have been referring to Godly character which I feel my step-dad possessed in abundance.  Of course, I’ve also heard it said that, “If you feed them long enough they start to look like you.” That will preach for sure!  Maybe more so spiritually than physically.

I guess you could say that I am triply blessed because not only do I have two extremely dear to me fathers that I love, but I also have a heavenly Father that loves me and wants only the best for me.  As much as I look like my natural dad physically, and may share similar characteristics of my step-dad, because he raised me and instilled certain attributes in me, I can honestly say that there is only one out of the three that I truly long to look like.  That is my heavenly Father…the one who knew me before I was formed in my mother’s womb (Jeremiah 1:5a) …the one who knows the plans He has for me…plans of peace and not of evil to give me a future and a hope (Jeremiah 29:11).  It’s my desire to look so much like Him that you can’t even tell us apart.  And though it is a lofty goal I will continue to strive for it no matter how many times I fall short.

He has done so much not only for me but for all of mankind.  The least I can do to show my appreciation is to study the relationship between Him and my elder brother who is joint heir with me to the Kingdom of God and be an imitator of Christ.  He is who I want to be like the most when I grow up and who better to model since He and the Father are one. 

Let’s take it one step further together!  Let’s “be imitators of God as dear children.  And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given himself for us” (Ephesians 5:1-2).  As we go about our week walking out our day to day, let’s not do it alone and in our own strength.  Let’s do it with Jesus and let the Holy Spirit be our guide.  I guarantee that if we follow Christ as He followed God we are sure to look a little more like Him every day!

Be blessed!




No comments :

Post a Comment